What's Your Room Look Like? Linky Party!


Jennifer at Empowering Little Learners is having a linky party asking about how your room is set up. I am jumping in it just to make everyone feel a little bit better about their progress!

You see, all of my classroom stuff is currently in a storage unit about 3 blocks from my school. I pay $65 a month to keep it there! When I say all, I mean all by the way! Everything came down off the walls and was boxed up and dragged out by my darling husband (who can't understand why I need so much stuff to teach kindergarten lol!). The only thing left were the tables and chairs and a locked cabinet dedicated to Title I materials.

The reason for this is that our school hosts several weeks of summer school, then a couple of weeks of Vacation Bible School AND provides free lunches to all kids ages 0-17 all summer long! That means there are a lot of people coming in and out of the school, plus a lot of different teachers using my room! Anything that is mine that I don't want to "walk away" needs to be taken out of the room. Even my alphabet and number line comes down so that whoever uses my room can put up their own things. Personally, I might try to take my chances with my stuff still being there come August but an empty classroom is not negotiable f you want to check out in May!

Now, usually I take everything home and store it in our garage and try to organize it throughout the summer. However, this year we had a fire at our house on April 23rd. Luckily no one was home and all the animals got out ok, but the house is unlivable. Due to issues with lead paint and asbestos based siding the contractor has not even started working on the house yet! So, we are currently in a 3 bedroom rental home that is a bit cramped for a family of 6. There is no way I could cram all of my school stuff in here too, thus the storage unit. Since it's been 100+ degrees here every day this summer, I have been avoiding my storage unit, having no desire to keel over from heat exhaustion!

Therefore, when I finally get back in my room (sometime after August 6th) I am going to have to start from scratch putting everything up and cleaning off the dust of 3 months of storage! So, if you have anything set up in your room or have started to organize, you are miles ahead of where I am lol.

As soon as I get into my room I will post pictures and updates, but for now I can serve as a reminder that even when you think you're behind, there's always someone who's much more behinder lol!

In the words of Dr. Seuss:

When you think things are bad,
when you feel sour and blue,
when you start to get mad…
you should do what I do!
Just tell yourself, Duckie,
you’re really quite lucky!
Some people are much more…
oh, ever so much more…
oh, muchly much-much more
unlucky than you!

3 comments:

Mrs. C said...

What a story... I am going to say a little prayer!
littlemisskindergarten.blogspot.com

Mrs. Richardson's Class said...

I am right there with you as far as the classroom goes. I have NEVER been in the same classroom for 2 years in a row. I have moved schools twice now (marriage and husband's job). My classroom is currently in my garage. Taking up 1/2 of it. My husband keeps telling me to just set school up here and teach at home. I can't get into my new school anytime soon, either. I hope and pray that your home is able to get back to normal, soon! :)

Jennifer K. said...

@Mrs. Richardson

It would be so much easier just to teach at home don't you think? And I probably wouldn't have to get up as early...I think your husband is on to something lol! As for not starting on the classroom, I am just going to make a list of priorities and try to get through as much as I can. I know if I don't make a list I'll spend hours on little inconsequential projects lol.

Popular Posts