I'm Thankful!

I love this idea of a linky party from What The Teacher Wants! What a great way to remind ourselves of what is really important - just in time for the Holiday season!
1. What are you thankful for in your classroom?

I am most thankful for the progress I see in their reading every day! I will not lie - I am much more comfortable teaching math than reading - at least in first grade! Since this is my first year in first grade, I live in constant dread that I could somehow mess up my firsties' reading for life! I really want to give them a solid foundation, so it is such a relief to hear them sounding out words, pointing out blends and digraphs and getting excited about reading! Maybe I'm doing better than I think!

2. What person are you most thankful for?

My husband and I have both lost both of our parents (can you be an adult orphan?!) and our extended family is not very close - geographically or emotionally. Therefore, our little family unit is extremely close! My husband and my 4 kids are my life and I am so thankful for their companionship and support. My husband is my best friend and I can't imagine life without him - even when he has to be away from us due to Army needs, we constantly talk on the phone or Skype. I am thankful that I can be secure in our relationship, even when he's far from home! And of course, I have to mention my incredibly helpful and creative daughter who can be counted on to help out with anything I have going on for school! My 3 sons are turning into such charming, thoughtful boys. One of my colleagues told me we remind her of The Waltons and you know that made my day!

3. What guilty pleasure are you most thankful for?

Books! I spend way more than I should on books - both for my classroom and for my own enjoyment. I have to confess, I'm a big fan of paranormal romances - Christine Feehan, Lora Leigh, J. R. Ward,  and Jeaniene Frost to name just a few of my favorite authors.
Since it's the Holiday Season, I do have one more guilty pleasure that is only available this time of year and it's a good thing or I would would probably go into a sugar overload on a daily basis. The manufacturer describes them as: "A melt-in-your-mouth cookie with a base of shortbread and nuts, rolled into small cookies and coated with confectioner’s sugar." but I prefer to think of them as powdery pillows of pure indulgence!


4. What are you most thankful for?

My health and the health of my kids and husband. My school's counselor has a great niece who was just diagnosed with Fibrodysplasia Ossificans Progressiva which is an incredibly rare, incurable disease where muscles and connective tissue turn to bone. Her name is Ellaina and she is only 4 years old. If you would all keep her and her family in your prayers, I know they would appreciate the support!

2 comments:

Kinder Kiddo said...

Awww that's terrible! She will definitely be in my prayers! Enjoy your break =).

Unknown said...

I will pray for Ellaina.
By the way, I love your blog. You bring Sunshine to my day so I have awarded you The Sunshine Award! :)
Cheryl
Crayons and Curls

Popular Posts