New Blog Title: Freaking out in First Grade!

I just got switched to 1st grade with just a few hours before our Meet N Greet tonight! I am freaking out lol, thank goodness my new firstie teammate is generous enough to share her lessons for tomorrow with me. I am going to be working all weekend, combing through 1st grade blogs to try to get up to speed! Any advice for a kindergarten teacher moving to 1st grade??

Update ~ met most of my kiddos at the "Pop in for Popsicles" tonight and I am thrilled to be reunited with some of my buddies from last year. I am trying to just take deep breaths and think positive. When I called my husband and told him he said "That's good, you got promoted!" lol. I am hoping that I can just bump up most of what I prepared this summer - I'm referring to it as "kindergarten on steroids". I will be doing some serious blog-hopping this weekend, if anyone has any suggestions I'd appreciate it!

Oh, and don't forget to enter my giveaway, it ends Saturday!

2 comments:

Sheri said...

Oh my goodness!! You poor thing! I would be freaking out too.

You will be just fine. They wouldnt have moved you if they didnt think you could handle it.

Good luck!

Meredith said...

Oh my! That is is a shocker-I can't believe you just found out today! You seem to be handling it so well! You will do great because beginning of the year first graders are just end of the year kinders-and you can just pick up where you left off in May! I have taught 1st before and honestly it is a lot like kindergarten-but they just catch on a little quicker. I'm sure all of your centers and such can just be slightly adjusted to offer more of a challenge-because I still use most of the stuff I used in 1st grade (letter sound activities, rhyming games, pocket chart poems, etc). You will still need to review the basic skills-letters, numbers, etc. at the beginning of the year. You might also be surprised that your little friends have forgotten a lot about school over the summer so you will absolutely need to review rules, routines, procedures, etc. a whole lot at the beginning of the year.
Good luck!!!
~Meredith
Keen on Kindergarten

Popular Posts